The Amazing Adventures of Denise

Hello everybody! Follow my wild and crazy adventures around the world right here on my blog.

Friday, June 02, 2006

I think I was on TV!!!

So yesterday, I went to the round table on anti-corruption. It was really interesting, because there were people there form a lot of NGOs and also from the parliament. What I didn't expect was that there was a lot of media there, and I was probably on the news! As in, siting at a table with 40 other people and only my mom would notice me, but still! It was exciting. The meeting was to discuss a new law that is being drafted on the ethical conduct of public officials. Very SPEA! Basically, right now, it is very abstract and vague- it says that public officials can't work for a private company they worked with while in office after leaving the government, but it doesn't say for how long. It says they can't do certain things, but it doens't say what the punishment is. Etc. etc. Also, I felt very VIP just being there, it was great.

Then Ali picked me up and I was off to my first interview. I also had my first (hopefully last) near accident- really, I need to write about the driving here, it is crazy!!! Oksana, who is the head of the gender division here, went with me, because we were meeting with the head of an anti-trafficking and women's issues NGO. I think the interview went well- the office was very comfortble, they also have a shelter there and there were a lot of young woman around, and cats, and they gave me tea and cakes. So, I've now had my first on the ground report on civil society and NGOs here in Azerbaijan! And, it was in Russian, and it went really well. Of course, I had my questions pre-prepared, and she did most of the talking, but everything went off OK. Hoorah! Next interview: Saturday.

After that I went home- I was so tired! And I hadn't eaten since breakfast (+ the tea and cakes). After a long search, I found an English language channel on the satellite! Luxury! When I saw the satellite when I was looking at the apartment, it sealed the deal. But then I didn't have time to really look through the channels and it really seemed like everything was in Turkish. But no! It is called CNBC, and it has the NBC peacock, but it shows other stuff like the Simpsons too. So I'm happy! I don't even get these shows in Bloomington!

Anyway, I'm at the office now. Later Sabina is going to meet me- yay! And tonight there is a big celebration thing for International Childeren's Day that Ramil thinks I should go to.

Random facts:

The subway costs about 6 cents.
I spent probably $1.25 total yesterday.
Transcribing yesterday's interview will probably take me hours- this is going to be a HUGE problem!
Someone keeps calling me and hanging up (or the phone just does that).
Men here wear pointy shoes that stick up at the toes (I'll try to get some pictures).
It is HOT HOT HOT!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger denise said...

Hey Kerri!

Well, the number one solution is to get rid of poverty so that people don't have to be corrupt in order to support their families. No problem, right? And of course, increased transparancy helps to prevent corruption too.

About this round table: the law itself is very vague and abstract, as I wrote. Basically, it has no teeth. It seems like even if it is passed it will not have a big effect, which is disappointing, and not unexpected, given that it effects the behavior (and potential for both corruption and future incomes) of those voting on it.

AND, the agency that will enforce the legislation is not named, because it is standard procedure here that the president decides this and announces it by decree. Which doesn't seem to be the best way to go about business, and shows how much power he holds as an individual.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home