The Amazing Adventures of Denise

Hello everybody! Follow my wild and crazy adventures around the world right here on my blog.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Still in Ganga

Still in Ganga, will write more because I'm more confident in this computer. I had an interesting day- and by interesting, I mean yes, interesting, but with strong hints of frustration!

I decided to only schedule one meeting so that I could have some time to see the city and surroundings. I met this morning with the Western regional center of the Helsinki Group, an international human rights group. I was very interested in talking to a human rights group out here in the regions, to see how they got on with the local gvernment here, etc.

Instead, I managed to find some pro-government, President Aliyev loving guys! Honestly, I think they may hate me. I tried to ask them questions, which they often did not understand, and maybe now think that I think Azerbijan sucks. Which I of course do not. THey hostily told me that I can't write my thesis without first reading the ancient poets of Azerbaijan, such as Nizami, who they quoted at length. I of course would love to read Nizami. Their organization is not really human rights so much as a legal rights and advocacy center. People write to them with their problems and they tell them what they need to do. I mean, this is a totally necessary activity, but I was let down that they weren't a better source of info for me. Did I mention that they share their office with a political party? On the other hand, this is reality for NGOs in AZ. Learning, learning.

After, I went out to an Islamic shrine called Imamzade. OUt of all the places listed in my guide, I thougth it sounded the most interesting. I took a marshrutka out to the train station, and then waited around for 20 until the bus (to the "meat factory") came. THe bus was crowded and I had no idea when to get off. Today was a squinty and humid day, and I was still trying to recover from the morning's interview and not let in get me down. We were giong through the countryside, and as soon as I saw something mosque-y, I went and asked the bus driver. Luckily, another woman was taking her family to the shrine, so she helped me find it.

Anyway, it was small and very run down. A wall with a dome let you in to a courtyard with a cemetary, some people selling Islamic trinkets, and a masoleum ( I don't have my guide book with me, so I can't remember the name of the person). You go in, and the remains are surrounded by a black curtain. People go around the four sides, kissing it and praying. In general it was very interesting for me to see, given that it was my first time visiting such a place. But again, a whole lot of work to get out there. It's just been one of those days!

So afterwards I just hid out in my room and watched TV until I came here.

Tomorrow, it's Baku to Baku and my life as usual! Looking at what I just wrote, it's funny- Baku is my life as usual! I wish! Anyway, one week until Russia. God, I'll be back in America 8/14.

Tomorrow moring I'll see the museums and sites in Ganga, and then I find a bus. When I get back I'll put up pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home