The Amazing Adventures of Denise

Hello everybody! Follow my wild and crazy adventures around the world right here on my blog.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Pounding the Pavement





Sorry no posts, I've been busy!

Yes, I've been "pounding the pavement," running around to interviews, so much so that I broke a shoe (my nice new shoes!) and my foot hurts. I bought 2 pairs of shoes with me, and now one is garbage and the other is getting ratty. Baku eats shoes! The sidewalks (where there are sidewalks) are an obstacle course, yesterday I said to Oksana that where we were walking it looked like a bomb had hit. But that in 10 years I bet that very street will be clean and redone and very pricy. Where I work, the steeets are very narrow, and it is common practive to park half on the sidewalk, half in the street. There are even poles that people put up with a chain between them that "saves" the space for them. You are supposed to park like that! So you usually weave through usable sidewalk (where no one is parked) and walking in the street, popping between parked cars when oncoming traffic needs to get through.

WOW, impromptu discussion of walking in Baku!

Honestly, it's all part of the experience of living in Baku, all the hustle and bustle, it's actually enjoyable. And Baku is really a feast for the eyes- I've been in the same neighborhood 2 days in a row for interviews, and it's on a big hill, and I looked up and saw a great view going down to the bay, with domes of mosques and baroque facades, Baku style! Or you'll be on a busy street, pretty developed, and look down a side street and see another world of narrow streets, old ladies selling fruit, the above mentioned bombed out streets... Really great, and makes me realize how much more there is to see!

This week I've done 4 interviews already and I think I'll do two tomorrow. Today, thankfully nothing, as my feet hurt :) I really learn something new from everyone I talk to. I'm also going to meet with a journalist this week, and since I don't know much yet about the media here, and it's history, I'm excited to start getting into this area. And then, political party representatives! Wow.

And one Azeri class already, and I go again today! I'm learning pronunciation, and I can say a few things now (How are you? This is a book.) But I didn't do my homework- I'm going to try to do it today!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home